Get Unstuck and Out of Overwhelm: Time Management During COVID
THE STRUGGLE IS REAL!
So many of us are struggling with time management and focus during this pandemic. I know I certainly have my moments and each of my clients has mentioned being effected in various ways as well.
IT IS STRESSFUL!
YOU CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT
Working from home has its benefits, but also it’s drawbacks – it’s too easy to always be “on”. Technology is a gift and a curse.
Questions to ask yourself:
- How can I best use my time?
- What is the best action I can take at this moment, that will provide the most value?
- Does investing MORE time in my workday really result in MORE effectiveness?
- What is the cost of not setting boundaries in my workday?
- Where is the benefit?
- Is that benefit perceived or real?
- What am I afraid will happen if I set realistic boundaries?
- Is that fear real? How do I know?
- Is it actually F.E.A.R. talking?
- Or is it actually
- Or is it actually
Time is a precious investment and a limited resource. How you choose to spend it matters. Consider the return on your investment and assign a value to your time.
Five tips to get out of overwhelming and take of control of your schedule:
- Look at the day ahead and schedule it in blocks. Choose your focus/task for each block.
- Prioritize. If you feel overwhelmed by your to-do list, pick a TOP 3. These are the things that MUST get done. Do those first, once you can cross them off your list, you will feel accomplished and so much lighter.
- Incorporate planned breaks or at least 5 minutes every hour. SET A TIMER. This can do wonders for your focus and give you a sense of control.
- Set a start and a stop time for your workday. Allow time for self-care, things that bring you joy and a good night’s sleep.
- Give yourself grace. There will be days where the unexpected throws a wrench in your plan. That’s ok, that’s life. Pat yourself on the back for doing your best and start with Step 1 the next day.
What truly brings you joy and fulfillment? Do you want to spend the majority of your time working? Are you leaving enough time for things that bring you joy outside of work? Do you leave time for self-care?
Originally published at PROJECT FITNESS on June 24, 2020.